The Elephant in the Room


My son died. I said it. There is no denying it. I carried him for 39 weeks and a handful of days. Two days before he was due, I found out he had died.

I posted my entire pregnancy on Facebook. I took way more bump pictures with him than my other two children. There wasn't any way to hide or not tell anyone he didn't come home from the hospital alive.

Now I am stuck in an uncomfortable spot. Everyone knows my child has died, but no one knows what to say; but pregnancies ending isn't uncommon. It is estimated 1in 4 women will experience a miscarriage.

Here is what I know for me.

Acknowledge him. The only way his memory remains is talk about him.

Tell me you are sorry for my loss, give me a hug. When he isn't acknowledged it feels like he never existed.

He did, he does.


Comments